Kin Shop


The executive chef at Kin Shop is Harold Dieterle who was made famous by winning Top Chef's Season One! He most recently opened Kin Shop in the West Village but he is also the chef/owner of Perilla which is just a few blocks away.

Chef Dieterle is known for intense flavors and now I know why! Kin shop serves a Thai-influenced menu of items that are meant to be shared and come to your table as they are ready.

We started with the Spicy Duck Laab Salad which may look like any standard lettuce wrap but once they are in your mouth you’ll realize that these are not your standard wrap at all…the spice is aggressive and I was thrilled! (I’m obsessed with spicy food and normally when something is marked spicy on the menu, I'm not impressed) This dish however caught me off guard, it was actually super spicy and soooo good! 



Spicy Duck Laab Salad -- toasted rice, ground chili & romaine hearts

The next thing we tried was the Bone Marrow which was served with some wonderful warm flatbread! I've been both freaked out and intrigued by bone marrow the last few months (here's my issue...my dog's favorite treat is a raw marrow bone but I've also seen them on multiple menus recently and have been told it's somewhat of a delicacy.) My curiously finally got to me and I ordered Truman's favorite snack for myself...yikes! The moral of the story is, I'm happy I gave it a shot because I'll try anything once and now I can knock this one off the bizarre food list! 

I'm sure in the world of bone marrow Harold did a fine job, the texture just isn't for me and I don't think I'll be ordering this again anytime soon!
 
Roasted Bone Marrow - crisp taro root, radish sprouts, roti & yellow bean sauce



Buttery Roti Flatbread

The last thing we ordered was the Northern Thai Style Curry Noodle. This also had nice clean and bold flavors. I expected this to be a noodle dish but it came out as more of a stew. The braised short ribs were served in a thick curry broth and a plate of additions came on the side. Fresh noodles, carrots, peanuts, bean sprouts and fresh herbs.

Northern Thai Style Curry Noodle - braised brisket, cucumber, peanuts, & fresh herbs
My friend and I had a great dinner here and I'm sure I'll be back! The menu is full of other things I'd like to try and the service was great...definitely my kind of place!

No comments:

Post a Comment